[Sca-cooks] 5000 year old chewing gum

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 21 11:30:06 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----

>Sarah Pickin, 23, found the lump of birch bark tar while on a dig in western Finland.
>
>Neolithic people used the material as an antiseptic to treat gum infections, as well as a glue for repairing pots.
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6954562.stm

I heard an interview with the lass and her professor yesterday.  Birch bark tar contains phenols, which I rather thought of as anasthetic more than antiseptic, although those are not mutually exclusive of course.

Of equal importance are the tooth marks, which seem to be well defined in this sample.  Not a whole lot of dental impressions remain from that long ago!

Selene