[Sca-cooks] Any period Mongolian recipes out there?

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 03:54:07 PDT 2007

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that "Soup" is all wrong for the
location.  It is definitely Mongolian, despite the fact that the recipes
were written down by a Chinese gentleman...he was physician to Kublai Khan,
and much of the book deals with stuff to keep the Khan happy and healthy.
So it is definitely period.  You need a rice or noodle dish, right?  I don't
have any of those specifically, but I can offer this one, which is quite
tasty (and you can find the weird ingredients in a good oriental grocery
store...note that it is  not from the main body of the book, but from a
monograph that Paul Buell sent me, and is actually from Chu-chia pi-yung
shih lei (A late 14th c. household encyclopedia).  This was, according to
Buell's monograph, written a little later than Yin-shan cheng-yao (Good and
Essential Things for the Emperor's Food and Drink), and was for popular
Chinese consumption rather than for Court use as was the case for the
former.  This recipe is part of the "Muslim" recipes from that book.  All of
this is Mongol in that, firstly, this was one of the periods when the
Mongols ruled China (Yuan Dynasty), and is one of many examples that
illustrate the influence Chinese and Middle Eastern food ideas and
methodologies on Mongol cuisine.

Rolled Thin Pancakes

Spread out thin wafers.  Set out walnuts, pine nuts, peach kernels, hazel
nuts, tender lotus seeds [Nelumbium speciiosum], dried persimmons, lotus
rhizome, gingko fruits, prepared chestnuts, badam [Per:  almonds].  Except
for the yellow of the chestnuts, to be cut into strips, cut everything up
finely.  Combine with crystallized honey.  Add pulverized lamb, ground
ginger, salt, onions, and combine.  Make the filing.  Put into thin wafers.
Fry in oil.

Lumpia  wrappers
2 tsp. Ground Walnuts
2 tsp. Ground Pine nuts
2 tsp. Peach kernels (used slivered almonds, ground )
2 tsp. Ground Hazelnuts
--Lotus seeds (omit—couldn't find)
4 tsp. Dried persimmons, finely chopped
2 tsp. Lotus rhizome, finely chopped
4 tsp. Gingko fruit, finely chopped
2 tsp. Prepared chestnuts, cut into strips
1 tbsp. Crystallized honey
1# Ground lamb
1 tsp. Ground ginger
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 small Onion
Oil

Chop walnuts, pine nuts, almonds, hazelnuts, persimmons and gingko finely.
Cut the chestnuts into strips.  Mix together with the crystallized honey.
Add the ground lamb, ginger, salt, and onions and mix together thoroughly.
Place filling in wrappers, and roll the wrappers up tightly.   Fry in peanut
oil.

Hope this helps.

Kiri

PS:  There are a number of noodle recipes in Soup...I just haven't redacted
them.  One of the ones that occurs in several books, including Soup is
"Tutam Ash" and "Chuqmin Noodles".  The second of these sounds quite tasty,
except that it calls for "innards"...sheep intestines and lungs!  If you
need copies of these, let me know,