[Sca-cooks] Setting up a new kitchen

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Aug 25 14:23:44 PDT 2007

Brygyt Strangewayes asked:
<<< My question is thus: what would you recommend as essential to own
for
someone new to period cooking?  What spices are essential, what
pantry items so necessary that you'd hate to be without?  (Bonus
points for sources to purchase :) ). >>>

First, welcome to the SCA and the SCA-Cook's mail list!

As for individual spices to recommend, I'll leave that to others. For
some sources and reviews of these sources, you might want to look
through this file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of the
Florilegium:
merch-spices-msg  (35K)  7/ 3/05    Spice merchants. Reviews and
recommendations

This file will give you a rundown on many of the various spice-mixes
used in period:
spice-mixes-msg   (90K)  9/17/06    Period spice mixtures. Poudre
Forte, Douce.

There are various files on individual spices in this section
including ones on saffron, ginger, nutmeg, rosewater, Grains of
Paradise and others. There are also some general files on spices such
as:
spices-msg       (182K) 12/ 3/06    Info. on spices, sources for spices.
herbs-msg        (124K)  9/17/04    Herbs used in period and how they
were used.
                                        Modern sources.

I'm not sure how you are set up for period cookbooks or modern
cookbooks with redacted (interpreted) medieval recipes, but you might
find osme of the files in the FOOD-BOOKS section to be of use, such
as this file:
cookbooks-bib     (44K)  2/15/04    Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle
of Armida.
   (Mistress Jaelle has sent me an update to this bibliography, but
it will be a few weeks until I get it online, but it is useful as it is)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com