[Sca-cooks] A request for sources on Khazar, or Caspian Sea foods in the 7th through 11th C

Patrick Levesque petruvoda at videotron.ca
Mon Aug 27 12:30:23 PDT 2007

Greetings!

The closest thing that springs to mind is 'Tender Meat Under the Saddle', a
collection of essays which examines the food habits of the nomads in the
Hungarian plains. The time period is about right too. Devra used to stock it
(it's her fault I got a copy!)é

You may want to check Byzantine annals - if I remember correctly they did
have diplomatic relationship with the Khazars. You will probably find a few
descriptions of customs and even eating habits, if you're lucky.

Petru