[Sca-cooks] Vanilla [was: Sweet chocolate, Modican chocolate (OOP -- maybe)]

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 27 15:30:06 PDT 2007

To my knowledge, the earliest recipe reference to vanilla is in Hanna
Glasse's Art of Cookery (1756).

One of the earliest (if not the earliest) reference to the use of vanilla is
in Bernardino de Sahagun's General History of the Things of New Spain.
Carolus Clusius obtained a specimen from the English Royal apothecary in
1602.  The name "vanilla" appears to be first used by Willem Piso in 1658,
becoming widespread afterwards.  All of this suggests that vanilla was
available as a curiosity in Europe during the latter half of the 16th
Century, but general acceptance and use probably occurred about a century
later.

Bear