[Sca-cooks] OT OOP What do you call ... leftovers

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 30 09:35:35 PDT 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 3:01 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> <<< For example, the chunk of roast leg of lamb I found the other
> night
> was shredded, frizzled up on one side in  an iron skillet,
> reseasoned, and eaten as pseudo-schwarma with pitas, tahini, and
> lettuce, cucumber, onion, etc.
>
> Adamantius  >>>
>
> Oh my. Even his leftovers are gourmet.:-)
>
> Stefan
>
> What's a "schwarma"? Sounds like the makings for a Gyro, though...

It's a Turkish near-equivalent, now found all over the Arab-speaking
Middle East and Israel. I vaguely remember reading about gyros being
"invented" in Greece as a commercial variant using an electric
vertical rotisserie called a Gyro. The main difference is that
schwarma, also spelled shwarma or shawarma, which is apparently
derived from a Turkish expression meaning "turning spit", is made by
stacking up sliced or flat slabs of muscle meat, things like flank or
boneless breast or skirt meat, or chicken breasts, sometimes layered
with sliced fat, and then mounting the stack on the spit. A gyro is
seasoned and cooked, and often served, similarly, but the meat is
generally ground.

When you slice the browned schwarma off the main mass on the spit,
the layers tend to fuse together somewhat, sometimes giving it a sort
of streaky-bacon appearance, but the strips tend to fall apart a bit
while you're eating it, which is why my jerry-rigged leftover
schwarma seemed appropriate.

Adamantius