[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 16, Issue 24/ Breakfasts...

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 12 12:41:52 PDT 2007

  Benedicte,
  Which is one reason why the rubrics from the Council of Pisa state that the "Divine Liturgy should be celebrated as early in the morning as is convienent for the faithful to receive the Divine Essence (communion) before breaking their holy fast."  Until the 2nd Vatican Council this fast was for an average of at least 6 to 12 hours previous to receiving. (it was unknown how long it took the stomach to completely empty of other materials, and it was deemed unseemly to have the holy bread and wine( the Body and Blood of Christ) share the same space as ordinary food...At Vatican II enough evidence was provided to show that the stomach is ordinarily purged of food substance within an hour span so that the fasting regulations were relaxed to an hour before actual reception of the Divine Essence.
  It is also true that many churches, Catholic and Orthodox simply state that the fast is broken with the reception of the holy bread.

  Abot Johann