[Sca-cooks] Fw: OT & OOP: Beowulf

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 1 14:29:00 PST 2007

On Dec 1, 2007, at 4:21 PM, Lilinah wrote:

> I wrote:
>>> Err, after seeing a couple trailers for Beowulf, and seeing as how
>>> it
>>> looked like a bad video game, well, wild horses couldn't drag me,
>>> etc. The opinions of others may differ...
>
> Margaret wrote:
>> Well my seventeen year old grandson loved it. Maybe you aren't
>> young and
>> male enough.
>
> Well, my daughter has assured me that my mental age is young enough,
> but indeed, i am not a teen-age male.

If it makes any difference, my teenage son was relatively unimpressed.
Not even extreme violence and frequency of exposed feminine secondary
sexual anatomical characteristics was sufficient to hold his interest
for long.

> I do enjoy some "male-oriented" films - action films and horror
> movies (but not some of the very cruel recent ones).

Oh, you mean the sadistic pornography they're now calling horror movies?

> However, i've
> never fantasized about gigantic pecs and shoulders and washboard abs
> all shiny with oil - Beowulf was just a bit too "glossie" in the
> trailers i saw - looked more like an entrant in a body building
> competition (not a fantasy of mine), and not a Medieval hero.

"Shoot 'Em Up". It has it all. A stupid movie to be proud of. It has
just the right amount of anaesthetic so you don't feel your brain
actively shrinking while you watch it (unlike, say, "Independence
Day", where the process is quite painful)... what was my social
security number again???. Laundry is the fifth dimension...

> I suspect that the film did benefit from 3D - is it in 3D everywhere
> or just in special theaters?.

I think just in special theaters. I have yet to see a 3D movie that
didn't make me nauseous. And I don't mean the content.

> I saw those 3D Warhol films back in the 70s (Frankenstein and
> Dracula) for which viewers were given polarizing lens in cheap
> frames. Nothing like the effect of a bit of internal organ hanging
> off the end of a gaff over your lap. Ah, the memories of my youth...

Ooh, baby, gall bladder on a stick! "In order to know Death, Otto..."
I don't know that films are getting much worse, although one could
make a good argument that tastes change and the current trend is to
diverge greatly from my own. A lot of the crap I used to love when I
was 20 or so I can't sit through now (I suspect those Paul Morrisey/
Warhol movies inclusive). Still can't resist a good Karloff movie,
though.

Adamantius