[Sca-cooks] substitutes for onions

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 2 09:02:25 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----
Does anyone have ideas for cooking without onions? For me, beef and onions
seem to go together. However, I might be cooking for someone who is allergic
to onions. Any idea for substitutions? Garlic is okay.

I'm thinking bell peppers to add flavor...what else? It doesn't have to be
period. I'm just brainstorming.

Thanks!   Ysabeau   > > > > > > >

Not to open the can of worms, but it truly depends on the definition of
"allergic".  If they are using the term to mean a histiminic reaction that
could cause throat swelling or hives or some other type thing like that,
then my last suggestions aren't so useful.

Make a mire poix with celery, carrot and fennel bulb standing in for the
onion. Thyme and cubeb would round it out right nicely.  FENNEL BULB, is
fabulous along with celery leaf/stalk in beef dishes (fennel and leak is
also a tastey medieval italian dish).  Celeriac Root is also a fun option.
All of those will braise nicely.  There are condiments ond sauce options,
but so many commercial ones include onion pweder as a seasoning.

If it is a term used to express dramaticly a dislike and "please don't sneak
them on me", then you have a few other options.

There are some mild versions that give a smoother, sweeter flavor than a
white onion, though they are alliums: leeks, scallions, shallots, and some
varieties of garlic . . . even ramp from your front yard could be good
option.  They are all alliums, though and potential for distress if a
medical condition exists.

They are all decent options for flavor variations as well as visual
variation for those with aversion and emotional issues with onions.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco
recoverd onion-hater . . . . 20 years clean