[Sca-cooks] 1500'S French cookbooks

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Wed Dec 5 07:45:48 PST 2007

Hi from Anne-Marie

When I was doing my research for my French Food in the Renaissance CA/Feudal
Gourmet, I found the same "hole". After Chiquart (which was definitely a
medieval cookbook in terms of flavorings and techniques), and until la
Varenne (SO not medieval) there was this big hole...most odd!

And yet somehow in that time, we saw the evolution of the emulsion sauce, a
switch in flavorings, souring agents, etc.

Casteau and his Ovverature de Cuisine seems to be a bridge in that way (and
thanks to Tomas Glonig for making it available to us!) with a foot in both
the medieval and the "new" styles. He's late 1500s, and more Belgian than
French, but maybe it will suit your needs?

--Anne-Marie, who thinks the trends in cooking techniques, etc is just as
much fun as the recipes themselves :)