[Sca-cooks] Freezing sausage

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 7 09:37:06 PST 2007

On Dec 7, 2007, at 12:23 PM, Michael Gunter wrote:

>> I've not done it myself, but Jimmy Dean does it all the time...why
>> don't you> purchase a package of the frozen, pre-cooked sausages
>> and see what they> taste like.
> My main question about the freezing of cooked sausage is because the
> major
> companies may have additives that preserve the meat when reheated. My
> sausage won't have any.

True, but the additives they're most likely to be using aren't so much
for any question of textural degradation. That might be fillers and
stabilizers, but not preservatives.

You could always stop by a decent butcher shop (one which presumably
won't use all the chemicals) and get some approximation of the brats
(for example, apart from seasoning, the fresh brats available around
here are reasonably close to the sweet Italian link sausage in
content, grind size and size). Get a pound of something, cook, cool
and freeze, then thaw and reheat tomorrow...

Then you'll probably know for sure.

Adamantius