[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP Gifts at Hanukah

Heleen Greenwald heleen at ptd.net
Sun Dec 9 06:48:00 PST 2007

First off, that is very sweet of you to want to cook for them.

Following the minhag (custom) of '3 Jews - 4 opinions', I would ask
your brother's SO what she would like to eat and what she won't eat.
She may well eat whatever you are making.  As far as respecting her
customs (or our customs) feel free to email me (off list as well) and
ask any question you like. I will try my best to answer. I was raised
in this stuff and taught it for years...(and have spent the last 10
or so years trying to recover - don't get me started on organized
religion!)

As for the spelling of Chanukah...  The word does not start with an
'H' sound as in Hay. It is a Hebrew word and starts with the letter
'chet'...H with a dot under it.  (Think Billy Crystal...Yiddish (also
hebrew) "A language of choking and spitting."  ) Since there is
really no way to write the chet (h /dot under) in English, at the
beginning of the 20th C or there abouts the h w/dot under was
represented by 'ch'.  Later in the century the more liberal Jews
decided to just use the H since Chanukah (old english spelling) and
Hanukah were, to western tongues, pronounced very similarly and most
people , the majority born here and no longer with an eastern
European accent, (Yiddish accent) just said 'Hanukah'... as to the
double letters..... refer back to Minhag in paragraph
above.....actually, I think the ancient spelling of Chanukah (In
Hebrew) had a double nun or double kuf,.  Will have to check that.
(so some dim bulb thought it would be a good idea to spell it in
English like that..... <opinion mine >

Now, Good gentles, please forgive me for rambling on like this. And
Dear Papa and gentles on the list.... I'm truly sorry that I don't
post more about food..... I have food problems and simply cannot eat
most things and basically cook the same 3 things....... and am no
longer connected with a local group....so I feel I have little to
say. But I do read the posts and enjoy the discussions; many thanks
for that!
IS
Phillipa