[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP Gifts at Hanukah

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Sun Dec 9 19:47:26 PST 2007

Malkin,

The custom on Chanukah is give money and treats made from oil such as
donuts, pancakes and fritters.  Cheese pancakes where made in honor
of the heroin Judith who after feeding salty cheese and sweet wine to
the Assyrian general Holophornes, cut off his head and saved the city
of Jerusalem.  Eating things fried in oil is a tradition that honors
the miracle of the oil that burned for 8 days even though there was
only enough for one day.  Please let me know if I can assist with
helping you to learn the customs.

HL Sindara