[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP Gifts at Hanukah

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Dec 10 07:23:11 PST 2007

> Yiddish has an historically High German base, regardless of from
> which other languages words have been borrowed. Also, much of the
> borrowing from other languages has taken place rather recently, in
> the past 250 years or so, not counting the Hebrew words which form,
> for the most part, a very specifically focused vocabulary within
> Yiddish.

My roommate Sarah is Jewish (raised in Orthodox practice, unsure what
tradition she is now), and her husband Juergen is imported-from-Germany
German (Lutheran). Periodically when a new Yiddish word comes up in
conversation, we have to analyze it to see whether it's German or Hebrew
in origin. There's definitely more German in there, but that doesn't mean
Juergen can understand Yiddish off the bat...

--
-- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net