[Sca-cooks] Medlars - Am I tasting what I supposed to be tasting?

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Dec 10 10:07:53 PST 2007

--On Monday, December 10, 2007 12:55 PM -0500 euriol <euriol at ptd.net> wrote:

> Sounds like you waited too long to enjoy them. That is typical texture of
> what I have seen in overripe pears or apples. I would think they would be
> ripe when they have a slight give when pressed. I bought some pears on
> Tuesday that were slightly hard, and they were ripe by Thursday. Still
> good yesterday, when they were all gone.

I think these were eaten at the right time, or perhaps a little early --
according to the literature medlars aren't ready until they are "rotten".
The Proper Newe Book of Cokerye says "To Make a Tarte of Medlers. Take
medlers when they be rotten and bray them with the yolks of four eges, then
ceason it up wyth suger and sinamon and swete butter, and so bake it."

<http://www.chow.com/ingredients/50> describes preparation, storage, and
use of medlars.

toodles, margaret