[Sca-cooks] Looking for a Bread recipe, Byzantine Bread recipe

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Tue Dec 11 12:47:51 PST 2007

> I found a Byzantine Bread recipe that I need to rework my redaction on.
> The information can be found at
>
> http://medievalcuisine.madpage.com/recipes/recipes/artos_katharos.html
> Original Recipe:
> I am still in the process of looking for the source of original recipe in its original language..

A Greek text with the title "De cibis" (on food) was published in 1840 by Ermerins. This book
was reprinted in the year 1963 in Amsterdam, nowadays it is online. If I am not mistaken, the
bread recipe starts at page 231, last line of the text, and ends 233, line 8. (In between there is the
latin translation by Ermerins.)

Page 231 is here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=sucDAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=intitle:anecdota&num=100&as_brr=1&hl=de#PPA231,M1

Page 233 is here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=sucDAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=intitle:anecdota&num=100&as_brr=1&hl=de#PPA233,M1

In his foreword, Ermerins says that this text is an excerpt from a more comprehensive work which
was written for Constantinus Pogonatus, who reigned from 668 to 685 (page xi and xii).
http://books.google.com/books?id=sucDAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=intitle:anecdota&num=100&as_brr=1&hl=de#PPR11,M1

E.