[Sca-cooks] OOP - Drakey, can you settle a small bet?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Dec 11 13:34:43 PST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007, at 3:34 PM, Arianwen ferch Arthur wrote:

> I know when I was teaching in Australia (MANY years
> ago) that I taught Home Science students to make
> marshmallows (I think I agree with Zazu Pitts
> commentary on making marshmallows)

Which was??? I only remember Ms. Pitts from a couple of films when she
was a middle-aged or elderly woman, but I've seen early photos of her
when she was a hot young stage actress and [somewhat secretly] the
better-looking of the pair when she was partnered with Thelma Todd,
who I always thought got the traditional blonde discount... but yes, I
vaguely recall that ZaSu Pitts had a confectionary cookbook published
(I think posthumously by her daughter?) I've just never seen or read
anything from it.

> but do not remember a marshmallow fluff
>
> I now know that vegemite is Aussie, and Marmite id UK
> (don't know about promite)  but I can't get past the
> smell to try them (and can you believe that some
> people who like those don't like peanut butter or its
> smell :-)

I'm always intrigued by the people that don't know what marmite and
such were originally intended for... its use in sandwiches has become
so common that people look at you as if you've grown a second head if
you suggest adding it to boiling water...

Adamantius