[Sca-cooks] oriental ceramic "frying pan", looking for

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 16:00:24 PST 2007

You should be able to find a metal version of this, with an enamel coating
that should work fairly well and would be a lot less expensive.  I don't
know if LA has a 'Korea Town" like San Francisco, but you should be able to
find one there.  I actually have a couple of those.  I have an antique
bulgogi cooker of Korean brass and was able to find the traditional
top...this is dished deeper than the pictures you two have shared, with the
convex side on top.  The dome-shaped part has slits in it, and a kind of
gutter around the bottom of the dome.  To cook the bulgogi, I put some water
in this gutter to help keep the meat moist as it cooked.  The juices from
the meat drained down to the gutter so that, when cooking was finished, the
liquid in the gutter had a wonderful flavor!  We took the thing to Pennsic
several years and the bulgogi was a howling success!

Kiri

On Dec 11, 2007 2:51 PM, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Yeah, I've been ooogling the kamado web sites for some time now.  The
> idea of schlepping it out to war is scary but would be worth it, if I
> didn't drop it.
>
> Selene

Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
                   -- C.E. Lawrence