[Sca-cooks] Cookie Question (OOP, but close to our hearts)

euriol at ptd.net euriol at ptd.net
Wed Dec 12 11:57:35 PST 2007

I've done a little baking with sucralose (Splenda) and found that the best
is to replace half the sugar with splenda. In a side by side comparison you
can tell the subtle differences, but those people who I've seen enjoying a
cookie stand alone did not detect the difference. If a recipe calls for
brown sugar & white, I'll just substitute the sucralose for the white sugar.

Euriol

Johnna Holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> said:

> Splenda at least has a website that addresses some of the questions.
> http://www.splenda.com/index.jhtml
> On the whole the situation of substituting Splenda for sugar seems to
> yield mixed results.
> Some are quite pleased; others less so with the results.
>
> Johnnae
>
> chawkswrth at aol.com wrote:
> > I do have a question for the experts on the list;
> > We all know it isn't the Holidays without cookies, right?
> > But, for those of us who much watch those nasty Carbs/sugars, cookies
can be a Bad Thing (waaa)
> > How well would sugar substitutes work in regular cookie recipes and what
would be the equivilent to use?
> > Would they not interfere with the chemical reaction that takes place
between the regular sugar, the butter and the flour to give you the proper
cookie texture?
> > Say, you were to make the usual, standard Shortbread. Can you fully
substitute somenthing like Splenda for the Sugar, or will you get an unusual
texture? No crispy cookie, just a lump of weird tasting dough....