[Sca-cooks] medlar paste update

KristiWhyKelly at aol.com KristiWhyKelly at aol.com
Thu Dec 13 16:41:34 PST 2007

Hello!

I made the medlar paste today.  I made a double boiler with a sauce  pan and
glass measuring cup with a plate as a lid.  I ended up with about  two dozen
viable fruit, the others ended up too shriveled up (maybe those were  the ones
I picked up off the ground?).  The good medlar were put in whole  to the
double boiler and I cooked them for about two hours, the last hour I  added about
two table spoons of water as the skins weren't really softening  up.  Unlike
apples the fruits did not give up liquid and break down, they  just kept getting
softer inside leather-like skins.

The cooked fruit were put in a wire strainer and the pulp was pushed  out.  I
ended up with little over a cup of pulp.  In a non stick  skillet I added 1/4
cup of sugar and about 1/8 nutmeg ( the web recipe called  for all spice
which I apparently didn't have).  I had to add another  teaspoon on water as the
pulp was still very dry.  With the addition of  water the sugar and medlar pulp
really smoothed out and then got smooth and  dense.  I've molded it into cast
iron fish molds.

I do take back the so-so review of the fruit.  As a paste, it was  fantastic,
the weird dry graininess went away.  It reminded me of thicker  more complex
apple butter.

Can't wait until next years crop!

Grace