[Sca-cooks] College Group foods

Sydney Walker Freedman freedmas at stolaf.edu
Sat Dec 15 06:02:31 PST 2007

Greetings!

     I'm a college student and have been the head cook in my college's
small group for the last couple of years.  We've had gool luck with
homemade bread (but that's because my cohorts and I like to stay up
until 3:00 baking bread :) ), various tarts (I can dig up recipes;
I'm pretty sure they aren't in the Florilegium; we've done pear and
onion tarts recently), fruit and cheese, Digby's excelent small
cakes, gyngerbrede, homemade sausages (made by a friend from our
local barony), homemade pasta, and other things.  My philosophy on
food at our college events is to focus on making sure that the feast
(or lunch, which is usually what we do) is period, focussing on a few
good dishes that can be made in larger quantities easily, and making
sure there's enough food, of course.  Enlisting help from others is
also something that one should never forget.  At our event last year,
we found out a few weeks before it that we would have no kitchen
facilities.  So, I made a couple of things beforehand and delegated
othe dishes to volunteers from the barony (our college group has
about six people on average).  Ihope some of these tips help, and I
can post recipes if anyone wants them.  All right; back to final
exams...

Pax Christi,
Lady Cecilia de Cambrige