[Sca-cooks] OT OOP Russian cake question

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 21 09:49:16 PST 2007

This looks like a Mednovik torte, a big favorite in Russia, the Ukraine
and the Czech Republic.  The layers are often cited as "honey cake" but
come to think of it, honey is also one of the distinguishing
charactertistics of Graham Crackers [The biggest brand name being "Honey
Maid" after all].  In Russia, you can get the layers premade and just
assemble them with filling for a quick family sweet.

Some recipes, which may vary with the country of origin:

http://www.okito.net/2005/11/14/medovnik-cake-recipe
http://www.expats.cz/prague/printthread.php?t=95791&pp=40
http://czechdream.blogspot.com/2006/04/medovnk-and-mushroom-battleships.html
http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m0311F05.htm

Nope, it was never Dobos Torte, which is from Vienna, has chocolate
between sponge cake layers, and a top made of a "mirror" of cooked
sugar, ergo the name Dobos meaning "drum".

Selene