[Sca-cooks] Ansteorra Central Regional 12th Night feast

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 09:40:39 PST 2007

Ansteorra's Central Regional 12th Night is this weekend and I'm
almost finished with the feast. Since the kitchen is rather inadequate
I'm doing the majority of the cooking beforehand and sealing it
in boiling bags. On site I'll have a bunch of turkey fryers filled with
hot water and just pop the bags in, heat and serve. It will make for
a fairly relaxing feast but kind of hectic ahead of time.
Menu:
1st Course
Egredouce (beef pottage)
Rumpolt's Hungarian Chicken (chicken in a lemon sauce)
Individual manchet loaves
Herbed goat cheese
butter
sliced apples and pears

2nd Course
Period bratwurst
Roasted venison in red wine sauce
served over frumetty
Pease in beef broth
Boiled Salat (spinach in butter/vinegar sauce)
Makke (mashed beans with wine topped with carmelized onion)
Homemade mustard from Digby

Dessert Sideboard
Normandy tarts (apple tarts with heavy cream)
Colonial Gingerbread
Layer cakes

Drinks of period lemonade, orange barley water, hot apple
drink and small mead.

Most of the heavy stuff has been finished and bagged.
I still need to finish the frumetty, vegetable dishes, apple tart
filling, gingerbread and vegetarian version of the venison.
I will provide vegetarian versions of the Egredouce (mushrooms)
and venison (firm tofu) and also serve some chicken sausage
for those who don't eat pork.

The cakes will be premade then assembled on site as well as the
tarts will have the crust made and then baked.

Menu and some of the recipes can be found on this website:
http://central.ansteorra.org/12thNight/menu.php

There's still work to be done but it is getting there.

Gunthar