[Sca-cooks] Precious stones to ward off evils

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Dec 2 14:06:18 PST 2007

On Dec 2, 2007, at 4:50 PM, Suey wrote:

>>> Spanish called the stone "ijada de piedra" or "stone of the kidney."
> As I die in 1474, jade is not in my book.  Hate to break someone's
> bubble but "ijada" is "loin" in English.

I'm not sure if a direct translation is or is not appropriate here;
isn't "kidney" "riñon"? However, the loin is where the kidney is
located, unless one specifically is referring to loins as genitalia.
It's a reasonably understandable error.

>  Apart from that it is
> perfectly logical to me that stones were used to protect against
> specific organs of the body, humors, elements etc.

I vaguely remember something about carnelians and bleeding...

Adamantius