[Sca-cooks] OOP Burned Popcorn

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Dec 9 11:25:09 PST 2007

On Dec 9, 2007, at 1:56 PM, rattkitten wrote:

> My guess is that they did exactly what my 5 year old did the first
> time
> I let him "Cook Dinner", and what I have done myself once or twice
> when
> not paying attention... That is they most likely put the bag in upside
> down of the directions....

On a tangential note, what is it about what may be argued to be the
fastest cooking utensil in human history, that makes some people
compulsively _walk away from it_ while it is working? My-formerly-but-
easy-to-forget-the-former-part-5-year-old, now 16, seems to have some
built-in neural mechanism that forces him to be at least 30 feet from
the microwave he's just loaded up and started. Preferably in some
location where he can't hear the little beeper when it is finished
working, or can't see or smell the blue-highlighted black smoke until
the entire house is filled with it.

Now, obviously when you put a 28-pound turkey in a standard oven, by
all means find something to occupy your time. However... microwave
popcorn whose instructions generally state that the job will take _up
to_ a given time???

> Anyways best way to get rid of the burnt smell/taste is to clean the
> inside of the thing with a bleach water solution.  That will get rid
> of
> the popcorn smell... then just leave the door open for a little bit to
> air out the bleach smell.
>
> Worked for us.

That didn't work in my case, but as might be inferred, we have repeat
offenders in the house and the smoke tars presumably got into the
internal workings, and there may have been cumulative damage from
burning the metal component of a microwave popcorn bag. The entire
machine ended up dying in a glorious blaze of uneventful anticlimax
shortly after the 987th bag of burned popcorn. The new one works
splendidly, but we don't use it for much besides 3-minute reheating
jobs, and the very occasional green veg, and for the most part it is
never left unattended.

Adamantius