[Sca-cooks] Is it just me, or when did they start doing this???

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 10 05:50:01 PST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007, at 8:28 AM, S CLEMENGER wrote:

> Yup.  My scotch-savoring friends (all of whom seem to favor single-
> malts)

There's really no compelling reason for anybody who has any liking for
Scotch whiskey at all to like a blended whiskey. It's not that there's
no reason, but rather, it's that the reasons are the same reasons
people have for liking McDonald's. It's about consistency of product,
and  [a perceived as reasonable, even when it really is not] price.
Let's say there are reasons, some of them good, for making blended
whiskey, just not too many good ones for really liking it...

> all say the same.

Prolly that annoying "being true" thing...

>  I just shudder, and use a "designated scotch drinker" in peers'
> circles.  ;o)
> --Maire

There're all sorts of things the human palate was probably never
designed to react to in a positive way, with tars and creosotes being
up near the top of the list, I suspect, and an Islay malt must plead
guilty to having its fair share of those. I hated Scotch for years
until I found that what I hated was just really bad Scotch. It turned
out my parents (who were not Scotch drinkers) were buying the house
brand of the liquor store outlet of a then-large national department
store chain... Glenmorangie, this stuff was not. So, when one's
parents are responsibly involved and you're of an age to experiment
with such things, kids sometimes do get exposed to their parents'
booze... unfortunately the experiences are not universally positive. ;-)

Adamantius