[Sca-cooks] Freezing sausage

Gwen Barclay gwenb at cvtv.net
Mon Dec 10 18:02:35 PST 2007

Nick,

You are exactly "right on" about the dangers of partially cooking anything containg protein.  From my many years of food service I have learned the hard way - and through food safety classes that it is quite dangerous for foods to be held between 40 degrees and 140 degrees - room temperature of 90-100 degrees is the prime temperature for growing bacteria.  Holding food at that temp is quite dangerous, especially if it takes anytime at all to freeze. Holding in insulated containers with ice after coming out of the freezer is also very difficult.

Other foods that spoil quickly are cooked potatoes (especially mashed), dried beans, and rice.  Keep them out of that danger zone!  It is quite embarrassing to discover fermenting beans spilling out over the serving dishes at dinner time!

Guinevere