[Sca-cooks] Cookie Question (OOP, but close to our hearts)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 12 13:42:41 PST 2007

On Dec 12, 2007, at 2:57 PM, <euriol at ptd.net> wrote:

> I've done a little baking with sucralose (Splenda) and found that
> the best
> is to replace half the sugar with splenda. In a side by side
> comparison you
> can tell the subtle differences, but those people who I've seen
> enjoying a
> cookie stand alone did not detect the difference. If a recipe calls
> for
> brown sugar & white, I'll just substitute the sucralose for the
> white sugar.
>
> Euriol

Well, okay, but just a thought here, heretical though it may be, to
add to the mix:

when I've done sugar-free baking, I've used polydextrose, which is an
indigestible, fiber-type carbohydrate that bulks like sugar, and to a
great extent conditions and shortens doughs like sugar. It's not
nearly as sweet as sugar, though, so adding some Splenda (I still have
some liquid in the house, I think; I didn't think the granulated stuff
with the maltodextrin was in itself a very good substitute for white
sugar) helps a lot. For me, a combination of polydextrose, Splenda,
and sometimes a small percentage of something like xylitol (it's
really interesting how a mixture of sweeteners can cloud the issue and
prevent people from saying "this tastes too much like X").

Yes, it sounds kind of strange to be adding all these weird chemicals
to food, but chemicals are chemicals, and they're probably not a lot
more weird than the chemicals we normally use, and less than some of
the ones in the commercially-prepared foods we often eat.

Because, in the end, they're _not_ going to taste exactly like white
sugar, no matter what you do, and it's not really a fair or reasonable
goal or expectation. Rather, we're preparing foods that can occupy the
niche normally occupied for most people by foods made with sugar, and
there's all sorts of ways to do that...

Adamantius (stopping short of analyzing ways to make tofu behave more
like meat, etc.)