[Sca-cooks] Looking for a Bread recipes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Dec 12 18:05:05 PST 2007

Sorry, I didn't respond earlier.  I've been enjoying the fine weather with
it's power outages and the trees it's dropped in my yard.

There are only five or six bread recipes to be found in the European corpus
and you can find most of those in the Florilegium.  Cariadoc's Miscellany
has several Islamic bread recipes.

Here is a recipe for manchet, a fine white bread.  It is definitely a period
recipe.

Bear

Manchet

To Make Fine Manchet. Take halfe a bushell of fine flour

twise boulted, and a gallon of faire luke warm water, almost

a handful of white salt, and almost a pint of yest, then

temper these together without any more liquor, as hard as

ye can handle it: then let it lie halfe an hower, then take it

up, and make your Manchetts, and let them stande almost

an hower in the oven. Memorandum, that of every bushell of

meale may be made five and twentie caste of bread, and

every loaf to way a pound besyde the chesill.

The Good Huswife's Handmaide for the Kitchen, 1594

5-6 cups all purpose flour

1 1/2 cups water

1 teaspoon dry active yeast

1 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water and let the water turn
creamy (10 to 15 minutes).

Add the salt.

Stir in the flour, until the dough forms a ball. Remove the dough to a well
floured surface and knead in the remaining flour.

Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place for
30 to 40 minutes.

Place the dough on a floured surface. Divide into four parts.

Roll each piece of dough into a ball and place it on a greased baking sheet.

Bake at 400 degrees F. for about 45 minutes.

Note: Other manchet recipes tell the baker to score the loaf around the
middle with a knife to let the loaf expand properly in the oven.