[Sca-cooks] Suey's Fadalat is legal

Daniel Myers edoard at medievalcookery.com
Thu Dec 13 18:05:15 PST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 7:42 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Unfortunately, I currently have a problem with the special characters
> in this file. These are the characters with things like the double
> dots over them or various accent marks and such. I often change the
> font that someone sends me a file in to Courier for consistency with
> other files. However in this case to avoid losing these special
> characters I used the font that Suey did, which was, I believe, Times-
> Roman. The Word file (in RTF format) has no problems, nor does the
> HTML after I run it through my processing program and looking at it
> with my browser at home. However when that exact, same file is
> uploaded to the website the special characters don't show up and get
> replaced with question marks and such.
>
> I suspect this is because of something I'm doing or have set or not
> done or not set on my web page. I will be trying to figure this out
> and fix it as I can. I'm about to have to go into job search mode
> again though, so that may limit my time. Anyway, if anyone has some
> experience with this or ideas, please let me know. Fixing this on
> Suey's file will likely fix many other files in the Florilegium,
> which I thought just had missing characters in the font I was using,
> but apparently not.

You should probably replace the special characters with their
corresponding HTML codes - this will make sure they are displayed
properly in any standards compliant browser.  For example, an o with
an umlaut (two dots) is encoded as ö

A partial list of these codes can be found online at the URL below.
If there are some you can't find, or if you need more help with this,
let me know.

http://www.webmonkey.com/reference/special_characters/

- Doc

--