[Sca-cooks] Stollen Recipe - Advice Needed

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 16 17:02:07 PST 2007

Looking at the recipe, this is a variant of Dresdener stollen.  Most of the
recipes I've seen call for more liquor and fats.  To use this one as
written, I would recommend melting the 6 tablespoons of butter, then cooling
it enough to keep the heat from damaging the yeast.  This will spread the
fat more evenly through the dough.  You might also want to use half the
flour to add to the starter, then add flour a tablespoon at a time until you
reach a consistency you like.  Stollen dough should be soft and elastic and
is usually feels a little oily.

When making stollen, I usually use scalded whole milk for the liquor with
the butter melted in the milk, but I tend to make Bavarian Christmas stollen
from a recipe my mother got from Anna Grossem.  The Bavarian recipe is more
enriched than Dresdener stollen.

Here's a fairly typical Dresdener stollen recipe:

http://www.myhouseandgarden.com/recipes/Dresdner_Stollen.htm

Bear