[Sca-cooks] OT OOP Russian cake question

Mairi Ceilidh jjterlouw at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 21 04:15:01 PST 2007

I don't have a clue, but I might be able to help with a solution.  See if
you can get her to write out the recipe for you.  My husband speaks Russian,
and occasionally loves a challenge to keep it fresh (not many chances in
north Florida to use that language).  It may take a while, 'cause work is
crazy now, but if you can get me the recipe we can probably eventually get
it readable in English.

Mairi Ceilidh

I have a student this year who is Russian - her family has only been in the

US for a year - and her mother sent her classroom staff a wonderful  cake
for
Christmas.  Her mother does not speak much English and we have no  idea what

this is, but it's yummy!

It is many layers (at least 10) of very thin pastry of some sort
alternating
with a cream sort of filling.  The pastry looks sort of like  graham
crackers
and is about the same thickness, but is not as sweet and is  much softer and

moister.  I do think there are crushed graham crackers or  something similar

on top.  The filling looks more like vanilla pudding than  anything, but I
was
getting a slightly tangy taste that makes me think it might  either be
sour-cream based or have a small amount of lemon or something in  it.  No
blatantly
obvious spicing.

Anyone have any idea what this might be, or better yet a recipe?

Brangwayna Morgan