[Sca-cooks] Gems preventing poisoning

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 14:14:24 PST 2007

I wrote:
> *gigorza,* *gorgor?a*, 1. an unidentified precious stone. It was valued
> as much as a diamond or ruby, thought to annul poison in foods and had
> powers to provide happiness, health, success, protection and cures among
> other things. 2. a green apple. ble, ble, ble.
    Nay, nay nay. That's a bunch of garbage! Just answered my own
question. Gigorza  is Old Castellan for jacinth, hyacinth, a
reddish-orange gem. As per Villena it prevented death from poisoning if
worn on the right fingers during meals.
    Looking for something else I came across Raymond Llull's (1232-1315)
opinion of the diamond: "it stops and prevents all intruding poisons. .
. "  http://nora.hd.uib.no/non/echt/budapest/Selfrepr/symbol.htm
I think in Aragon, at least, the opinion of the diamond was higher than
Emilio indicates even though it was not properly polished until well
after Llull's death.
Suey