[Sca-cooks] need recipe

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 31 07:31:07 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: sca-cooks-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org
[mailto:sca-cooks-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Olwen the Odd
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2007 10:17 AM
To: Cooks within the SCA
Subject: [Sca-cooks] need recipe

Hey all!  I hope this last day of the year brings a good close of this door
and a good opening of the next.

I am in need of a recipe for something that my be called Apple Muse or
something like that.  Anyone have any ideas?  I probably don't have the
spelling correct or may not even have the name right at all.

Thanks a bunch!Cariad a heddwch (love and peace)Dame Olwen the Odd Laurel to
Lady Katherine O'CarrollOrder of the Pearl Deputy, Bright Hills Cooks Guild
House Blackstar Barony of Bright Hills Kingdom of Atlantia!

Is this the one?  (my rendering)

81. Appulmoy  Curye On Inglysch
Take apples and seeth hem in water; drawe hem thurgh a straynour.  Take
almaunde mylke & hony and flour of rys, safroun and powdour fort and salt,
and seeth it stondyng.

Applemoy (Apple Mouse) (Rendered Recipe)
Apples, almond milk, honey, rice flour, saffron, powdour fort spice blend,
salt.
Clean, quarter, and core apples.  Boil them in water until soft.  Drain.
Mash apples through a strainer.  If you have left the peels on, make sure
they are removed at this step.  Heat almond milk and honey in a pan, add
enough rice flour to thicken slightly.  Add apples and seasonings, cook
until flour is absorbed and desired consistency is reached.  Serve hot or
cold.
I have not included amounts in this rendering.  The desired consistency is
not specified in the original recipe, so it can be as thin as a shake, or as
thick as a pudding, depending on how many apples you start with, how much
rice flour you use, and how long you cook it.  The sweetness will vary with
the apples and with the amount of honey you use, and the spicing is at your
discretion.

Christianna