[Sca-cooks] Mead Yeast

Ian Rocas rocas511 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 8 10:13:54 PST 2007

To all my fellow meaders.

In all my time of making mead I have always used Champaign yeast.  The resulting taste is excellent, but I have never had much luck stopping the fermentation process except with refrigeration.  I once tried simply allowing the fermentation process to continue until the alcohol level kills off the yeast, but the result tasted more like bitter lighter fluid than mead.  I have not worked with mead yeast because it is not available locally, but I have heard that allowing the fermentation to continue until the yeast dies works better with mead yeast.  Does anyone have any personal experience with this?

Rocas