[Sca-cooks] Medlars - Am I tasting what I supposed to be tasting?

KristiWhyKelly at aol.com KristiWhyKelly at aol.com
Mon Dec 10 08:47:04 PST 2007

Hello!

I've bletting my medlars in paper bags for 2 weeks.  They did get  soft.  We
broke some open this weekend, and despite being totally grossed  out by the
what we saw....we ate it.

It tasted as advertised, slightly sweet, spicy, and slightly winy
applesauce.  BUT is was really dry, almost grainy.  So, did I leave  them in the bag too
long? Or are they supposed to be that way?

Also, now that I've actually seen what the fruits are like, 1.5" to 2" wide
with huge seeds, leaving little actual pulp I wonder that they actually used
this fruit or any cooking.  My 50 fruit will yield a small loaf of the  candy
( I hope).  So, to get the very most out of this fruit do I squeeze  out the
pulp with seeds and cook it and strain if afterwards or do I fish the  seeds
out now?  Or do I throw the whole thing in with peel and strain  afterwards?
I'm trying for maximum out put as I would like all 50 people  to have at least a
little taste...

5 years of waiting, and I'm not really sure it was worth it...sigh, well
I've got high hopes for the currants and kiwi!

Thanks for your help!

Grace