[Sca-cooks] Pie in a Pipkin

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 21 10:35:11 PST 2007

Sorry I didn't get to this sooner.  No time to read my email before lunch.

The recipe is period.  It is from Epulario, which was a 16th century English translation of Platina/Martino.  I didn't go into details, because it was originally posted to rec.food.cooking, a Usenet newsgroup for all kinds of foodies, not just medievalists.  I knew it was floating around the Web, but am surprised to see how many places it's gotten to.

I was still fairly new at medieval cooking, and at doing my own redactions.  I do not have the original recipe handy, but I think I stuck fairly close to the original.

The type of meat was not specified; lamb or mutton would probably be more common choice in Italy than beef.

The recipe might have called for raisins or currants; either would be acceptable.

Don't remember if the spices were specified.  Those sweet "apple pie" type spices are appropriate.

By "white vinegar" I meant distilled vinegar.  I was young and ignorant then.  Recipe probably just says "vinegar", and I'd be most likely to grab red wine vinegar.

Anyone have "Epulario" handy, and can you post the original recipe?

Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom