[Sca-cooks] Pie in a Pipkin

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Feb 22 04:04:06 PST 2007

To make a Pie in a possenet or pipkin
    To make a Pie in a pipkin, First take the flesh and good
Beefe suet, and mince it smal, and put it in a pipkin, and if you
wil, you may put therein Capon, Henne, or Pigeon, then set
it on the coales, and when it is beginneth to boile, skim it. Then
take a few small Reasons and an Onion, and mince them
small, and fry them with good suet, and put them suet and all
into the pipkin, and when it is ready, put spice and vergiuice
into it. And if thou thinke good put therein likewise yolkes
of two or three egges beaten, which done, you may dish it
and send it to the table.

Epulario, Or, The Italian Banquet. 1598
I make this recipe 10. No Page Numbers are given.
I did this from a xerox of the original book.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae