[Sca-cooks] Turnips or Rutabagas?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 1 10:43:27 PST 2007

On Feb 1, 2007, at 12:51 PM, silverr0se at aol.com wrote:

> Last night I found lamb shanks on sale at my local Ralph's and
> decided to to make my own version of Scoth Broth (I've beem trying
> to re-create the flavor of the now-defunct Campbell's soup I
> rememeber from my childhoodm with very little sucess but some darn
> good soups).
>
> Normally I would add turnips to this but the market didn't have
> any. They did, however, have rutabagas, which I did not buy, having
> never tasted one.
>
> Can the root-veggie savvy here on the list explain the difference
> in flavor, so I'll know for next time?

They're a bit less sweet, and have a slightly sharper, cabbage/
mustard/radish flavor profile. As others have said, there are various
things you can do to reduce the impact. They also have a _slightly_
starchier texture than white turnips.

OTOH, since rutabagas are, as I recall, a.k.a. Swedes and the "neeps"
of Scotland (as in "tatties and neeps"), they're probably the more
appropriate turnip for Scotch Broth anyway...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04