[Sca-cooks] Dill pickles

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 19:10:33 PST 2007

Oh, I have a correction, I think; I don't think I included
what's-his-name....Kenelm Digby's full recipe for Potage de Sante...or maybe
I did....here's the full text from the Gutenberg site:

POTAGE DE SANTÉ

Mounsieur De S. Euremont makes thus his potage de santé and boiled meat for
dinner, being very Valetudinary. Put a knuckle of Veal and a Hen into an
earthen Pipkin with a Gallon of water (about nine of the Clock forenoon) and
boil it gently till you have skimmed it well. When no more scum riseth
(which will be in about a quarter of an hour), take out the Hen (which else
would be too much boiled,) and continue boiling gently till about half an
hour past ten. Then put in the Hen again, and a handful of white Endive
uncut at length, which requireth more boiling then tenderer herbs. Near half
hour after eleven, put in two good handfuls of tender Sorrel, Borage,
Bugloss, Lettice, Purslane (these two come later then the others, therefore
are not to be had all the winter) a handful a piece, a little Cersevil, and
a little Beet-leaves. When he is in pretty good health, that he may venture
upon more savoury hotter thingsPage 131, he puts in a large Onion stuck
round with Cloves, and sometimes a little bundle of Thyme and other hot
savoury herbs; which let boil a good half hour or better, and take them out,
and throw them away, when you put in the tender herbs. About three quarters
after eleven, have your slice dried bread ready in a dish, and pour a
ladleful of the broth upon it. Let it stew covered upon a Chafing-dish. When
that is soaked in, put on more. So continue till it be well *mittonée*, and
the bread grown spungy, and like a gelly. Then fill up the dish with broth,
and put the Hen and Veal upon it, and cover them over with herbs, and so
serve it in. He keeps of this broth to drink at night, or make a *Pan-cotto*,
as also for next morning. I like to adde to this, a rand of tender brisket
Beef, and the Cragg-end of a neck of Mutton. But the Beef must have six
hours boiling. So put it on with all the rest at six a Clock. When it is
well scummed, take out all the rest. At nine, put in the Veal and Mutton,
and thenceforwards, as is said above. But to so much meat, and for so long
boiling, you must have at least three Gallons of water. Either way you must
boil always but leisurely, and the pot covered as much as is convenient, and
season it in due time with a little salt, as also with Pepper, if you like
it; and if you be in vigorous health, you may put a greater store of Onions
quartered. The beets have no very good taste, peradventure it were best
leave them out. In health you may season the potage with a little juyce of
Orange. In season green Pease are good, also Cucumbers. In winter, Roots,
Cabbage, Poix chiches, Vermicelli at any time. You may use yolks of Eggs
beaten with some of the broth and juyce of Oranges or Verjuyce, then poured
upon the whole quantity.