[Sca-cooks] Period Flour Query

Aldyth at aol.com Aldyth at aol.com
Thu Feb 8 17:05:18 PST 2007

In a message dated 2/7/2007 8:33:30 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net writes:

If you  have some specific questions, I'll try to give you a more thorough
answer.

Thanks so much for the first answers. They help a lot.  In the  archives I
found references to semolina-sourdough being 13th century  Andalusian.  That
must be just the type of bread, not the flour per  se?  And I would think that
from cultivated crops I could get what was  available in which area when. Is
there anything written about what was naturally  occurring as far as the
grain/grass/nut in a particular area?

In one of the shortbread discussions it mentions adding rice flour to the
(see list of flour) for making it crumbly.  At the risk of being really  dumb,
did shortbread originally have rice flour in it? I just have a hard time
visualizing rice paddies in Scotland.  :-))

Aldyth

If it is not  any fun, stop doing it. Find something that is fun, and start
doing it. Life is  too short not to have fun.