[Sca-cooks] Period German menus

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 8 17:22:28 PST 2007

Gwen Cat wrote:
>There are a number of period mushroom recipes in
>Rumpolt - I think Urtatim has some webbed someplace,
>and I have been meaning to go back to my translation
>of the veggies and put them in (I have waited cause he
>specifies mushrooms by name and there are a couple I
>could not find botanical or English names for when
>last I looked several years ago)

Well, i have about 23 German mushroom recipes translated from several
different sources.
http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Food/Misc_Hist_Food/23GermanMushroomRecipes.html

While English cookbooks just say "mushrooms", the German cookbooks
are very specific about each kind, which is why, when skimming
through them, i didn't spot them.

At that time (early in 2001) Thomas Gloning was still on this list.
He sent me a batch of 15 recipes from Rumpolt, then unsubbed from
this list, then sent me another batch of recipes from several
sources. And he apologized for not having time to translate them for
me! I was just thrilled to get some recipes.

The German is quite different in each batch and i don't really know
German - i audited one semester of German for grad students (so we
could get a general grasp on research). However, i managed to bungle
through. Gwen Cat looked over my first batch of translations for
egregious errors. Then in 2004 i had a fatal hard drive crash and had
to do them all over again. Giano was most gracious in looking over
and commenting on the whole batch.

Gwen and Giano helped figure out what some kinds of mushrooms were.
Then later i did a web search of German sites for mushrooms and
figured out two more kinds. We never did quite figure out, however,
what some of the specific kinds would be called in English. They are
Redling, Rotling (which may be the same mushroom in 2 different
dialects), Raysling, and and Stockschwammen. If anyone can tell from
the recipes, please let me know, so i can update them.

--

Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita