[Sca-cooks] Period Flour Query and shortbread

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Feb 8 22:55:13 PST 2007

Kiri commented:
<<< I'm about to do/say what we're all told not to do...but I do
believe that
shortbread is such an ubiquitous dish in Scotland that there are no
really
period recipes for it. >>>

Ubiquitous when? Sometime prior to 1600 CE? or now?

<<< To be truthful, I've never really even seen a period
Scottish cookery book at all! >>>

Correct. From previous discussions here, none exist.

<<< But I do have a book from the Rural Home
Women's organization in Scotland that has a section on "traditional"
recipes, two of which are versions of shortbread...neither of which
contain
rice flour!  >>>

There are two or three period recipes (all late 15th C) which are
very similar to what most people think of as shortbread. The ones I
know of are all, I believe, English.

I'm not sure that wheat was grown in Scotland in period, much less
rice. Yes, it could have been imported, but I don't remember that
much grain/flour trade going on over long distances in medieval times
or even the 16th century. Certainly not on the level that was
apparently being done in Classical times. However, I'm willing to
listen to contrary info.  Wool out and wheat in?

However, the period recipes that I was referring to, don't specify
the type of flour. See:

shortbread-msg    (33K)  3/29/05    Period shortbread. Recipes and
directions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/shortbread-msg.html

Stefan
--------