[Sca-cooks] Period Flour Query and shortbread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 9 04:40:17 PST 2007

The Hanse traded anything and everything from Baltic to London and all along
the Atlantic coast and as the Hanse expired, the English and Dutch merchant
companies were rising.  It may not have been as much as was imported into
Rome, but the traffic was profitable.  IIRC, Elizabeth David comments on
English bakers buying foreign grain because the bushels were larger and thus
produced greater profit for the cost.

Wheat, rye and oats were all grown in Scotland in period, but one needs to
consider that until the 17th Century "meal" almost exclusively meant
oatmeal.  The extent of the grain trade into Scotland doesn't appear to have
had a lot of study.

Bear