[Sca-cooks] Period Flour Query and shortbread

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 04:12:29 PST 2007

Actually, my recipe calls for 1 part sugar to 2 parts butter to 4 parts
flour...so the amount of sugar is about 1/4 the amount of flour.  But that's
all it has...no rice flour, no spices, no eggs.  And I'm told that it's
pretty incredible stuff...in fact I get requests for it.  I do, however,
occasionally mince a little candied ginger to put into it...it really adds a
little "zing" to the cakes.  And, by the bye...I have also been known to
make free-standing cookies of shortbread, so they don't always cook in a
"container."

I still suspect that the recipe is one of those "periodoid" kinds of
things...you know the old argument:  all of the ingredients existed in
period so it must be period!  There are enough similar kinds of cookies,
Shropshire cakes for example, that it's not beyond the realm of
possibility.  But it is not documentable.  So, as I will be doing next
weekend with stuffed grapevine leaves, I do serve it at feasts, knowing in
my heart of hearts that it may not really be a period dish.

Kiri