[Sca-cooks] flour experimentation

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 11 18:48:42 PST 2007

Thanks for the links.  While King Arthur is wonderful for breads and other baked items that need lots of gluten/protein, that is not what I believe people in England and other parts of Europe used for general purposes in our period.  It certainly isn't as low protein as the all purpose flour you would purchase at Marks and Spencers in the present era.

  What I am trying to find a lower protein flour that is readily available outside the Southern states.  I don't particularly want to use cake flour, as it's enriched. The closest I have found so far is at Costco.  Unfortunately it only comes in 50 lb. bags. Some of the chi chi cooking stores sell pastry flour.  I should check that out.

  Can you tell I'm on a roll here? ;-P
Yep, pun intended.

Johnna Holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> wrote:
  You might take a look at King Arthur Flour.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/flour/home.html
They have a .pdf that can be downloaded
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/5623d1a1fb2c1d02e3832df0be93f855/download/Home%20Bakers.pdf
Specialty flours are