[Sca-cooks] medieval medicine, spices, and this blasted cold

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Fri Feb 16 10:33:44 PST 2007

if any of you have this cold from hell thing that is going
around......(which i have been fighting for weeks)

1. it recurrs.  at the first sign of a cold start acting like a
hypochondriac in full force, bed, fluids... doctor if you can... its a never
ending ride of "feel a bit better, try to be active, get worse..."
otherwise.
the people who have recovered fastest are the ones who treated it as a
serious issue and did not try to exert or "be normal" until they were 100%
recovered.  (unlike me)

2. the ONLY non prescription thing that makes a dent in it seriously is
liquids, heat, and spices.  since i started taking the medieval medicine
view
(cold.. i have a cold and mucus.. therefore take spices which are warm and
drying)..
and started living on cinnamin in my tea, mulled wine, warm liquids with
lemon, honey, and cinnimun. and adding ginger to any food i eat. i have been
improving rapidly.  the sauna, forcing liquids, and hot showers made ..
dents.....

(i am allergic to garlic, but if you are not i suggest loading up on it)

seriously, spiced tea has made a fast and serious dent that the regular tea
was NOT having.. likewise the plain water lemon and honey was ok. but adding
spices to it has cut the post nasal drip immensely
putting ginger on everyting has actually had my appetite return.

i have also been putting more beans, bread with spiced butter, and etc in my
diet, despite the fact that i dont usually do heavy carbs.... its helping.
so score one for medieval medicine.

3. my dad had it. he has medical issues, they gave him some anti virals, AND
some anti biotics for an apparent piggy back of bronchitis.... he recovered
within days.
this seems indicative of a bacterial add on that i was not aware of.....
take this into account.

so....anyone have any recipes that do NOT have garlic in them that i should
try?

Kirsten Houseknecht
Fabric Dragon
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
www.fabricdragon.com
http://fabricdragon.livejournal.com/

Philadelphia, PA     USA
Spinning, weaving,Trims, Amber, Jet, Jewelry, and more...

Teach someone today