[Sca-cooks] Need recipe quickly!

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 16 10:56:48 PST 2007

On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:41 PM, Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are recipes from Take A Thousand Eggs
> online, or
> does anyone have a moment to type a recipe in for me?
> I loaned my copy of Volume 1 to someone, and naturally have just
> discovered
> that that is the book containing the original of the recipe that I
> want to
> make  for the dayboard/A&S display at the East Kingdom's Cooking
> Thynge  tomorrow.
> The recipe I am looking for is Bukenade, possibly with two Ks.  It
> is  a
> minimalist recipe that says something like "Take good broth, and
> beef, and any
> other meat you want, and stew it with onions and good spices", but
> I need the
> exact wording as well as the name and date of the manuscript it
> came  from for
> my documentation and to make sure I don't skip any  ingredients.  I
> have other
> Bukkenade recipes, but not the one I am looking  for, and the
> others all seem
> to use mostly veal (not that I mind veal, but I  decided I wanted
> to use beef
> and lamb, so....).
> Many thanks to anyone who can help me out here.
>
> Brangwayna Morgan

I'm a terrible person and don't have a copy of the book handy, but...

You might look at this:

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:ZG64wz1kGnMJ:www.florilegium.org/
files/FOOD/M-Camp-Cookng-art.rtf+bukkenade+beef&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

If you scroll down there's a 14th century Bukkenade recipe for any
meat you wish:

> For to make Bukkenade.  Take good fresh flesh, what manner so that
> be, & hew it in small morsels, & seethe it with good fresh beef; &
> cast thereto good minced onions & good spices, & mix it with eggs,
> & boil & dress it forth.   {Diuersa Servicia, #45}
I suspect it's really intended to be seethed with good fresh beef
broth, but it does call for any meat you wish. "Diuersa Servicia" is
really MS D, ff. 86r-96v, a.k.a. Pegge's "Ancient Cookery".

Does that help?

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04