[Sca-cooks] Salmonellosis symptoms, was: Peter Pan Recall

King's Taste Productions kingstaste at comcast.net
Fri Feb 16 13:39:51 PST 2007

nic wrote:
we are just going to continue eating the current jar.  We have had no
untoward effects,
it's been a week or two, and we don't want to just run out to get two
refunds that don't seem necessary.  If this were not the first 'peanut
butter as source of salmonella infection" claim in the history of the US, or
we had had some sort of symtomolgy, we would feel differently.

I'd have to say I'd be doing the same with a jar that I'd already eaten half
of.  If it was bad, you'd know it.  I think I'd throw the other one out.

Salmonellosis is bad news.  I can give you the basic rundown on it from a
food hanlding perspective:

	Illness: Salmonellosis
	Bacteria: Salmonella spp.

	Many farm animals naturally caryy Salmonella spp.  It is often
associated with poultry and eggs, dairy products, and beef.  It has also
been found in ready-to-eat food, such as produce that has come into contact
with these animals or their waste.  Since illness can occur after consuming
only a small amount of this type of bacteria, it is critical to cook food
properly and to prevent cross-contamination.

	Most Common Symptoms:
		Diarrhea
		Abdominal cramps
		Fever
		Vomiting

	The severity of these symptoms depends on the health of the person
and the amount of bacteria consumed.
	Salmonella spp. is often present in a person's feces for several
weeks after symptoms have ended.

	Minimize cross-contamination between all foods.
	Exclude food handlers from working in the establishment if diagnosed
(i.e. very contagious).

So, I recommend that you do dispose of the offending peanut butter by either
heating it to 160F in a pan or microwave, then disposing of it in standard
garbage. . . or calling thw 1-800 number and asking them what we are
supposed to do with it.  If you get cut off like I did, then maybe the CDC
can tell us if there is special HazMat handling to deal with.  Really, we
simply throw out bad chicken, so this should be no worse.
niccolo difrancesco

I'd throw it out.  If you are concerned that someone might get it out of
your trash can, take a sharpie and mark "Contaminated with Salmonella" on
the lid.  Draw a little skull and crossbones, make a craft out of it ;)
If you use the heating method nic mentions above, you can be relatively sure
that even in the homeless person scavenging your trash scenario that it
would be pretty safe.  (After you've killed any live toxins, the byproducts
of their existence remain and can still make someone sick, but as nic says,
we just throw out any other food that we know is bad).

Christianna