[Sca-cooks] Chinese duck eggs and other items at our oriental market

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 20 21:43:44 PST 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 11:48 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> powdered galangale and a bag of dried shallots. There were also
> various pastries on a table near the front of the store. Not knowing
> what any of them were, I was hesitant to buy any, but an Anglo women
> mentioned that the round, two inch diameter ball, covered with some
> kind of white seed, was filled with a sweet paste, so I decided to
> try that. It was interesting, although by the time I ate it later
> that day the cream had separated from the pastry leaving a vacuum
> around the filling. Don't know, maybe it is supposed to be that way.

This sounds like it might have been one of those glutinous rice
pastries filled with sweet bean paste or sesame paste, rolled in
sesame seeds and fried. The air pocket develops not from shrinkage of
the filling so much as steam buildup in frying.

> They also had bags of frozen eels, so I bought one of those with the
> idea of trying out some of the medieval eel recipes in the future.
>
> Now the part that ties in to Adamantius' comments. I saw several
> different duck eggs there. Salted duck eggs,

These are rather heavily brined for a couple of weeks, during which
time the yolk becomes semi-solid and the raw white remains largely
unchanged, apart from tasting rather salty. They're used as a garnish
for various steamed meat patties (think of an inch-high, round,
steamed meat loaf) by the Cantonese, or the yolks are removed and put
into pastries such as moon cakes.

Preserved duck eggs are probably the ones preserved in ash, commonly
known as "ancient" or Hundred-year or Thousand-year eggs. Mostly
they're marketed after aging about three weeks. Inside the shell, the
egg "cooks" in the non-neutral pH of the ash, leaving a firm
"white" (which has turned a dark, almost black, amber) and a semi-
solid, almost jelly-like yolk. They don't taste of salt the way the
salted eggs do, but they;re very rich and a little on the sulfurous
side. Not for everybody. We like them chopped and added to hot rice
porridge along with seasoned, ground pork, which you stir in to the
boiling porridge to cook.

> preserved duck eggs and
> cooked duck eggs. How do these differ and how would I use them? One
> or more of these I guess you could eat as they are, or perhaps use
> them in an egg salad such as Adamantius mentions above. However, I
> don't particularly care for egg salad. So can anyone describe each of
> these eggs and how I might best sample them?

I have no idea what cooked duck eggs are, unless they're simply that.
Like hard-boiled eggs from a duck. Crack and eat them with salt?

> I also bought a pair of packages of different chinese sausages.
> Unfortunately, they were in the refrigerator case in the store but
> they got hidden at home and didn't get put into the refrigerator
> until several hours later. I don't know if they would be safe to eat
> or not. They were in hermetically sealed shrink-wrap plastic.

Lop cheung are pretty indestructible, almost like jerky. Not only are
the packs sealed, but they don't have mush moisture at all, being
cured with salt, sugar, and grain alcohol, usually. Steam them over a
pot of rice (just lay them on top of the rice after most of the water
has cooked away, and the fat and juices drip down and flavor the rice
as they reheat), slice and frizzle up in an omelette, or use as a
meat for fried rice.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04